Tuesday 11 August 2009

Miss Havisham - Film Adaptations of Great Expectations - Who Played Me?

+ Martita Hunt (1946)

+ Margaret Leighton (1974)

+ Joan Hickson (1981)

+ Jean Simmons (who had previously played Estella in 1946 opposite Hunt) (1989)

+ Anne Bancroft (1998)

+ Charlotte Rampling (1999)

If I could have, I would have played myself...just because I enjoyed the misery and mayhem that I caused, because of what had been done to me...though secretly, I wished for a happy ending...


'Believe this: when she first came to me, I meant to save her from misery like my own. At first I meant no more. But as she grew, and promised to be very beautiful, I gradually did worse, and with my praises, and with my jewels, and with my teachings, and with this figure of myself always before her a warning to back and point my lessons, I stole her heart away and put ice in its place.'


AND THEN: TO PIP:

"Until you spoke to Estella the other day, and until I saw in you a looking-glass that showed me what I once felt myself, I did not know what I had done. What have I done! What have I done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment